A service account provides an identity for processes that run in a Pod. When accessing a cluster, a user is authenticated by the API server as a particular user account. Processes in containers inside Pods are authenticated as a particular service account when these processes contact the API server.
This document describes how to create service accounts on KubeSphere.
You have created a workspace, a project, and a user (
project-regular), invited the user to the project, and assigned it the
operator role. For more information, see Create Workspaces, Projects, Users and Roles.
Create a Service Account
Log in to the KubeSphere console as
project-regular, and click Projects.
Select a project where you want to create a service account.
On the left navigation pane, select Configuration > Service Accounts. You can see a service account
defaulton the Service Accounts page, which is automatically created when the project is created.
NoteIf you have not specified any service account when creating workloads in a project, the service account
defaultin the same project is automatically assigned.
Click Create. In the displayed Create Service Account dialog box, set the following parameters:
- Name (mandatory): Specifies a unique identifier for the service account.
- Alias: Specifies an alias for the service account to help you better identify the service account.
- Description: Briefly introduces the service account.
- Project Role: Selects a project role from the drop-down list for the service account. Different project roles have different permissions.
- Click Create after you finish setting the parameters. The service account created is displayed on the Service Accounts page.
View the Details Page of a Service Account
On the left navigation pane, select Configuration > Service Accounts. Click the service account created to go to its details page.
Click Edit Information to edit its basic information, or click More to perform the following operations:
- Edit YAML: Views, updates, or downloads the YAML file.
- Change Role: Changes the project role of the service account.
- Delete: Deletes the service account.
On the Resource Status tab on the right, view details of the Secret and the kubeconfig of the service account.
Was this page Helpful?
Receive the latest news, articles and updates from KubeSphere
Thanks for the feedback. If you have a specific question about how to use KubeSphere, ask it on Slack. Open an issue in the GitHub repo if you want to report a problem or suggest an improvement.